Mee Goreng Ayam
Malaysian Style Easy Chicken Noodles.
The Recipe Intro includes the Video on how to make this super quick Noodle Dish.
- 420 gms fresh flat egg noodles (I use Fortune brand)
- 300 gms boneless chicken fillet, cut into small strips
- Half of a yellow onion (Vidalia) , sliced finely
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic garlic, finely chopped
- Handful of fresh beansprouts
- 1/2 cup cabbage, shredded
- 2-3 tsp chilli paste (dried red chilli paste - check out my recipe video)
- 2-3 Tbsp light soya sauce (to taste)
- 1 lime sized ball of tamarind pulp soaked in 1/2 cup warm water
- 3 tsp ketchup
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 9 Tbsp oil, divided
- ¼ - ½ tsp white pepper
To Marinate Chicken:
- 1 Tbsp cornflour/ cornstarch
- 1/3 tsp black pepper powder
- 2 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp rice wine or meat tenderizer may be used instead
- 1 tsp garlic paste/crushed
- Cut the chicken into small strips and apply all ingredients for the ‘Marinade. Set aside till all other ingredients are ‘wok ready’.
- ‘Place the fresh noodles in a bowl of cool water to soften it. Gently rinse under running water to separate the strands. Put back in bowl of water and add some hot water to the bowl. This removes the oily reside and smell of the packed egg noodles.
- Drain and keep aside. If using dried noodles, cook according to package instructions and drain into a colander. Rinse under running water to stop the cooking process, so that the noodles do not stick.
- Heat oil in wok (about 1 Tbsp). Add the eggs and scramble till set and remove from wok. Set aside.
- Wipe the wok clean and add 5 more tbsp oil. Heat.
- Add the marinated chicken and fry till cooked tender and slightly golden along the edges. This does not take very long. There should be a soupy gravy coating the chicken and it should not be cooked dry.
- Remove from wok and set aside with egg.
- Wipe down the wok once again and add another 3 Tbsp oil. Heat.
- Add the sliced yellow onion and allow to soften.
- Add garlic and cook till the raw smell is gone.
- Now add chilli paste. Cook till fragrant.
- Add the strained tamarind water. Loosen any bits stuck to the wok as the solution boils up.
- Add cabbage and fry 10 seconds.
- Now add the noodles and toss well till uniformly coated. Carful not to break up the noodles too much.
- Add ketchup, soy sauce and white pepper. Keep tossing till heated through and covered with oil and sauces.
- Return the fried chicken and egg. Toss once more to incorporate.
- Optional: Add add the liquid smoke. This is my trick and it gives a lovely aroma to the noodles.
- Last add the beansprout and set aside.
- Garnish with some extrabeansprout, chives/ spring onion and a wedge of lime.
Mee Goreng Ayam
- You can add some seafood like prawns or squid, which is very popular too. My family prefers it with just chicken. Fried tofu puffs can be added too.
Key Ingredients: Egg Noodles, Chicken, Egg, Chilli Paste, Soy, Ketchup, Tamarind, oil, White Pepper, Spring Onion,
Let us know if you tried it – Mee Goreng Ayam.