By Aparna Prakash
Onam and an exciting start to a long weekend! This is a favorite Kerala style Sweet snacking speciality! Try this Unni appam Recipe this Onam.
This was the Winning Recipe of the ‘RAS’ Onam 2013 Contest.
- 2 cups Rice flour
- 1 cup Melted jaggery,unrefined cane sugar/palm sugar (honey like consistency)
- 4 Tbsp Mashed bananas
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- 2 Tbsp Grated/Chopped coconut
- 1 tsp Ginger powder (optional for extra flavor)
- Water – as required to loosen the batter and melt the jaggery
- You will need an appam or Danish Æbleskiver pan : See info
- In a bowl, add the coconut, cardamom powder, ginger powder (if using) and bananas. Melt the jaggery, with water, to honey-like consistency and pour into the flour mixture. Mix well and add water to make a batter that resembles idli batter.
- Heat the appam/Æbleskiver pan, pour oil to fill ¼ of each cavity.
- When hot, pour about a tablespoon of batter into each cavity and let it cook well (about 2 minutes or until it turns brown). Turn it over and let the other side cook too.
- Remove onto a paper towel and let the oil drain. Once it cools down, refrigerate in an air-tight container.
- The varied coloring seen in the photographs is because of my experiments with different heat levels.
Did you enjoy our Unni appam Recipe?
You May Also Like: