Thai Pineapple Fried Rice WITH VIDEO
Thai Pineapple Fried Rice produces a refreshing twist on the regular old fried rice. A popular item from Thailand. The slight tangy and sweet charm is enticing and it is a visual treat served up in carved pineapple boats.serves 4
Thai Pineapple Fried Rice
See video : please close ads to see captions.
- Buy a whole fresh beautiful pineapple and cut it lengthways and carve out the flesh into cubes. From this we use:
- 1 cup fresh pineapple pieces
- 4 cups day old rice (preferred)→cooked from 2 cups jasmine rice preferred.(or Thai)
- 4 Tbsp oil for stir-frying
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red chili padi(small thai variety)
- ½ cup roasted unsalted cashews
- 4 Tbsp diced carrot(steamed in microwave for 1 minute and strain) or 4 Tbsp frozen peas,thawed
- 2 eggs, beaten omit for vegan
- ¼ cup sultanas (or golden raisins)
- 3 Tbsp chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp thai fish sauce + 2 Tbsp light soy sauce (OR substitute 3 Tbsp soy sauce if vegetarian)
- 2 tsp coriander powder orcurry powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- ¹⁄3 cup fresh coriander
- Optional: 8-12 fresh shrimp/prawns peeled and deveined
- For Prawn Marinade: 1 long green chilly, 2 cloves garlic,2 tsp light soy sauce & a few drops sesame oil
- Pound green chilly(de-seeded or mild variety)+ garlic for marinade to a paste.
- Marinate the prawns with this paste, soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Add about 1 Tbsp of oil to the day old rice and fluff it up with fingers to seperate the grains or use two forks. (to prevent sticky lumps)→ set aside
- Whisk together the stock, sauce, curry powder and sugar together in a bowl → set aside
- Heat and swirl 3 Tbsp oil around a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the shallots, garlic, and chili → stir fry till fragrant but not browned.
- If using shrimp, add now and → stir fry on medium high.
- TIP: If wok becomes too dry, sprinkle water.
- Add egg and allow to set and then scramble quickly.
- Add the cashews and stir-fry for ½ a minute.
- Now add the prepared rice. Stir-fry well till thoroughly mixed, breaking up any lumps, scooping up from bottom and tossing to fry rather than stirring around.Push rice to the sides to add a little oil to centre of the wok if you feel its getting sticky. Do not add water!
- Add the bowl of whisked stock/sauce mixture.You may not require all the sauce- use to taste.
- Mix in the Carrots/Strained peas, pineapple and raisins. Should not be wet! Stir fry till well combined.
- You may add seasonings to taste (fish sauce/soy sauce/chilly/salt)
Thai Pineapple Fried Rice
- To cook Jasmine Rice: Using a rice cooker is recommended. Bring just a dash less than 2 cups water to boil,add the washed and drained rice and close. Allow to sit for a while then cool. Day old rice is best.
- While stir frying, maintain a medium high heat and do not allow the rice to obtain even the slightest burnt smell. It will ruin the dish.
- Stir fry the shrimp till they turn whitish opaque.
- For vegetarian version,omit shrimp
You May Also Like: