Singapore Chilli Crab
Singapore Chilli Crab. No surprise why this is featured as the national dish of Singapore.The hugely popular delicious dish is not very difficult to prepare at home and the sauce blend can be adjusted to suit your tastes and desired spice level.
Singapore Chilli Crab
- 2 live Srilankan/mud crabs
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 shallots sliced
- 2 ” piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 long red chilly, seeded and minced
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- spring onions, sliced 1 inch (for garnish)
- 1 tsp cornflour mixed with 3 tsp water
For the sauce:
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp chili-garlic sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Place the crabs in the freezer 15-20 minutes to immobilize.
- Mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a very large pot of boiling water, parboil the crab for 3 minutes. Take out of the water and drain. Rinse the crab with cold water and drain again.
- Insert a sharp knife/cleaver through the centre of the crab from the side, just below the shell and with a swift motion lift up the shell(see note).Rinse and clean the shell.This will be used as a decorative piece.
- Discard the gills and the mouth part of crab and also the black and grey spongy matter. Twist off the claws and legs and crack several places with the cleaver.Cut each body into 4 – pieces.
- Now in a large wok, heat and swirl oil to coat the sides of the wok. Add the garlic, shallots ,ginger and chili, and stir fry → 1 minute.
- Add the crab, and stir fry →2 minutes. Now add the sauce, reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, till the crab is cooked (7-8minutes). Add the cornflour/water mix.
- Take off heat and quickly stir in the egg and cook just until it begins to set (about 1 minute). Swirl the wok.we dont want scrambled eggs just a nice glossy sauce.
- Arrange the crab and top shell on serving dish. Pour the sauce all over the crab and garnish with the green onion.
- Serve with steamed rice or crusty bread to soak up that delicious sauce!
Contrary to popular culture, the method of chopping the crab through the centre is not recommended as it actually chops through the guts and expel toxins into the surrounding meat,hence not the hygienic method of cutting up crab.
To choose a fleshy crab: feel the underside. It should be tight and firm to the touch and not soft when pressed with fingers:this denotes there is not enough flesh.