Sheermal is a delicately rich saffron scented flat bread, made soft with the use of ghee (clarified butter). The use of the saffron makes it a Regal Item and it is great with most Tandoori Style Recipes. I love it with Kadai Chicken.
The literal meaning of Sheermal – is Milk Bread, and it is the incorporation of the lightly sugared milk that gives the bread a hint of sweetness.
- 3 cups refined, all purpose flour.
- 2 tsp sugar dissolved in ¾ cup Milk.
- 3 Tbsp Hot Milk.
- A few strands of saffron ¼ – ½ tsp.
- 2-3 drop of Kewra/Screwpine Water.
- ¼ cup pure ghee / clarified butter.
- optional 2 Tbsp butter for final brushing.
- Sift the flour and salt together into a bowl.
- Dry toast the saffron lightly and add to the 3 Tbsp of hot milk. Set aside.
- Add the sweetened milk, kewra water to the flour and mix with a wooden spoon.
- When it holds together Add jut enough water – a few Tablespoons to knead it to a smooth elastic dough.
- Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Melt the Ghee and add it to the dough. Mix well, till you get an smooth dough again. It should not be too greasy.
- Divide the dough into a dozen balls and set aside for another 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 270 º c/ 520º F for these 10 minutes. High Heat.
- Flatten the balls on a lightly floured surface and roll out to make a 6 ” round disc.
- Prick the entire surface with a fork.
- Place a waxed baking paper on a tray Or lightly grease the tray and place 1-3 breads on it (according to size of oven)
- Place in the oven for 5-9 minutes, flip over once in between. The bottom should be golden.
- You will see the bread puffing up gently in areas.
- Brush the breads with the saffron milk and bake again for 3 minutes.
- Remove, Brush lightly with butter (optional) – serve hot!
- The Sheermal is so soft and lightly crisped. Enjoy!
Did you enjoy our Sheermal Recipe?
You May Also Like: