This is a Malaysian/Singapore vegetarian dish. ‘Sambal Goreng’ is made of Soya Bean Cake (Tahu or Tau Kwa), Fermented Soya Bean cake), Long beans and spices simmered in aromatic coconut based gravy.
Protein Rich Vegetarian dish that can served with white rice. It can be a mean in itself! Here is our delicious version.
- 1 Pack(400 gms), Tau Kwa (Beancurd) cubed and fried
- 1 Pack Tempe (200 gms) cubed and fried
- ½ tsp tamarind solution
- 1-2 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1-2 tsp kecap manis (pronounced ketchup mah-nis), which is a sweet soy sauce of Indonesian origin.
- 3 green chili sliced
- 1 stalk lemon grass, bruised
- 1 ” piece of galangal (lengkuas) bruised
- 8-10 long beans(string beans) sliced diagonally-1 ½ ” long pieces(washed and patted dry)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- salt and pinch sugar to taste
- cooking oil
For the Spice paste
- 10 dry chili soaked in hot water to soften
- 8 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ in ginger
- Pound all the ingredients for the Spice Paste on a stone for best results or use a blender/ mixer.→ Smooth Paste; with little flakes of chilly. Do not add water.
- Heat oil to deep fry the beancurd and tempe. Fry in batches, the bean curd & tempe separately. Drain on paper towels.
- Transfer 1 Tbsp of the oil to a non stick fry pan and heat well. Add the cleaned String beans and stirfry on high quickly till they obtain a nice deep green color and just start to brown on edges. Set Aside.
- Transfer 2 more Tbsp oil to the non-stick deep wok/pan, fry ground paste along with the bruised lemon grass and galangal, add salt and sugar, fry until fragrant. Sprinkle some water.
- Add fried beancurd and tempeh, stir and mix well.
- Pour in coconut milk and tamarind juice,ketchup and kecap manis simmer till gravy is fairly thick.
- Do a taste test and season as needed.
- Add sliced chili and long bean, cook till almost dry.
- Remove the bruised lemon grass and galangal. Serve Hot!
Did you enjoy our Sambal Goreng- Tahu Tempe ? Please rate: [ratings]
If you can not find tempe it can be omitted from the recipe. If you do find it make sure it is fresh.Check the date.Old Packs of Tempe will have a sour after taste. Otherwise its very yummy.