Whole Black Pepper Chicken Roast
A simple yet extremely flavorful Roasted Chicken for those busy weeknight dinners.
Don’t forget to read the recipe Intro↓
- 1 fresh whole chicken, medium sized preferred (Make sure the chicken is nice and fresh)
- 1 ½ tsp of fresh ginger
- 2 tsp of fresh garlic
- 1 tsp freshly crushed black pepper corns, coarsely ground ( you want large specks of pepper)
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- ½ tsp paprika powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika (smoked sweet paprika)
- ½ tsp dried mint or thyme
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 - 1 ¹/8 tsp salt (according to size of chicken)
- 2 white onions, peeled and sliced into THICK rings
- Preheat oven to 218 º c / 425 º F .
- Crush the fresh ginger and garlic to a paste.
- Rinse the fresh chicken thoroughly in cold water. Remove the giblets, Rinse the insides. Remove any excess fat and slimy bits. Leave the skin on the chicken.
- Pat dry the chicken, inside and out with paper towels.
- Combine the ingredients for the marinade (except olive oil and onion rings) together and rub well into the chicken, inside and out. Use a fork to pierce in a few places carefully without tearing the skin.
- Allow to rest 10 minutes.
- Drizzle the olive oil all over the top, using hands to gently rub over.
- Truss the Chicken: Use kitchen twine (double cotton thread) to tie up the chicken. This gives a good shape to the roasted chicken. In order to do so, first place the chicken breast side up. Pull the neck skin over the neck opening and tuck underneath the chicken. Also tuck the wing tips under the chicken neatly. (Wing tips brown easily, so its a good idea to tuck them under there).
- Now hold the centre part of a long piece of twine (about 4 feet long) just under the tucked neck flap and slowly pull both ends over the drumsticks. Do a loop over the drumstick ankle bones and pull the twine inwards to the centre, thus pulling the drumsticks together at the same time. Hold the ankles together and tie a tight bow around them, with the ends of the twine. The chicken is now perked up and ready to be roasted.
- Place the Chicken (Again, Breast Side Upwards) in a roasting tray / tin lined with thick white onion slices. This adds flavor and keeps the chicken from laying in its drippings while roasting.
- Roast on the lower rack of your oven, with heat from below and above if possible. Roast for 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, baste the top of the chicken with some of the oil that has dripped down below.
- Return to an upper rack in the oven for the remaining 20- 30 minutes, just until the skin has crisped evenly all over and is golden brown in color. A meat thermometer should give you a reading of 74°C (165°F).
- Serve on a bed of steamed or stir fried vegetables like broccoli, carrots and cauliflower with a baked potato dish to accompany the chicken.
Whole Black Pepper Chicken Roast
- Don’t be tempted to add more paprika/ smoked paprika than in the recipe. Black pepper needs to shine through.
- Left over chicken can be shredded and used to make a flavorful chicken salad the next day.
Key Ingredients: Chicken, Pepper, Parika, Ginger Garlic, Salt, Olive oil.
EAT AND TELL!!!
Let us know if you tried – Whole Black Pepper Chicken Roast