Tricolor Pasta Chicken Salad
The Recipe Intro includes Video on how to make this yummy Salad. Check it out.
- 3 cups tri color pasta of choice. (I used Tarall'oro - Pasta all'Ortolana. It has a nice aroma when cooked and great texture for this salad)
- Breast portion . of one chicken( Remove the breast from the chicken with the skin and bones intact)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (capsicum) , cut into small squares
- 1 medium red bell pepper (capsicum) , cut into small squares
- ¹⁄3 cup sweet corn kernels (thawed from frozen)
- ½ cup pickled cucumber, chopped into bite size pieces
For the chicken:
- 1 ½ tsp dried tarragon or 3 tsp fresh
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder or fresh minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
For the dressing
- ¹⁄3 cup fresh yoghurt - plain (not sour)
- ¹⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- To taste - salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 163 °c / 325 ° F
- Wash and pat dry the chicken breast with skin and bone kept on.
- Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder, tarragon and rub well into the chicken. Rub thoroughly, all over, even under the skin.
- (Keeping the skin & bones on while roasting, keeps the chicken moist and tender).
- Place in a oven proof dish. Drizzle over the Olive Oil.
- Place the chicken in oven on the lower rack and bake for 40 minutes. Transfer to the top rack ( and turn the oven setting to Broiler). Continue to cook for 20- 25 minutes, till the skin has turned golden brown and crisped up a bit.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta. Bring a large enough pot with lots of water to a boil. Add salt.
- Add the pasta and cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes till the pasta is cooked ‘al dente’ . There should be a bite left to the pasta. Drain and allow to cool.
- Cut up the bell peppers, pickle and thaw the corn kernels.
- Make the Dressing: To a large cup or bowl add the yoghurt and mayyonaise. Whisk well till smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Do a taste check and set aside this dressing.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove the skin. Discard.
- With clean hands, remove all the bones and break the chicken up into small pieces (OR CHOP). Allow to cool completely.
- I like to place the cooked pasta and chicken in the fridge till cold. Keep all other ingredients chilled as well.
- To a large bowl, (I use the pot used to cook the pasta) add the pasta and other ingredients except the chicken. Add the prepared dressing and toss well till evenly coated. Add the chicken last and toss again.
- Place in the refrigerator,covered for at least 30 minutes till chilled.
- Serve in a clean salad bowl. Do not mix once plated, as the bowl will look very messy.
- Enjoy 🙂
Tricolor Pasta Chicken Salad
- Use any tri color pasta. The added color is more inviting than plain pasta.
- You can serve the salad over a platter of fresh lettuce, to add some crunchiness. This is optional.
- Home made croutons may be added for a bite.
Key Ingredients: Tricolor pasta, Chicken, Bell Peppers, Sweetcorn, Pickle, Herbs and Spice, Olive oil, Yoghurt, Mayonnaise.
Let us know if you tried it –Tricolor Pasta Chicken Salad.