Thai Pandan Leaf Chicken
Gai Hor Bai Toey [ไก่ห่อใบเตย]
Total time is not inclusive of Marination / Refrigeration.
The Recipe Intro images and Video on how to make Thai Pandan Chicken. Also how to wrap Pandan Chicken. Check it out.
- 500 gms boneless chicken: boneless leg / thigh is best
- 1 tsp each of garlic and ginger, crushed to a paste
- 3 dried red chillies, the long shriveled, mild variety - soaked in warm water for 20 minutes
- 4 shallots
- 1 small chunk (2-3 tsp) fresh ginger
- 4-5 large cloves of garlic
- 1-2 stalks of lemon grass (use only the peeled central white and light green parts)
- 5 coriander roots(preferred) -If unavailable, you can use the stalk portion OR 1 Tbsp coriander seeds
- ¼ tsp fresh turmeric root OR turmeric powder
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce OR oyster sauce
- 1 tsp thai fish sauce - omit if unavailable
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- ½ tsp white pepper powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornflour
- ½ cup Coconut milk powder If you cant find the powder - you can use thick coconut cream but it loosens the marinade quite a bit
- 10 to 15 pandan leaves, washed and wiped clean
- As required, canola/sunflower oil for deep frying
- Cut the chicken into 4 × 3 cm / 2 × 1½ inches chunks (approximately).
- Marinate the chicken in the ginger and garlic pastes and some salt for 15 minutes.
- Grind together the shallots, ginger, garlic, turmeric, lemongrass, coriander root/seeds and soaked dry chili smoothly.( Using a pestle and mortar gives the best taste but it involves some amount of elbow grease- alternatively you can just use a good mixer/grinder).
- Add all the other ingredients to this ground mixture and stir well till you get a homogenous mixture. (If using coconut cream be careful not to let the mix go runny).
- Add this mixture to the previously marinated chicken and allow to marinate again in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Wrap the chicken in the traditional method as shown in the video.
- Or if you find it easier, simply cut the leaves into strips of about 12 cm/ 4.5 inches. Use two strips for each marinated piece of chicken covering from opposite sides so that the sides remain open. Secure with toothpicks.
- Heat oil in a small wok till a strip of leaf sizzles. Add only a couple of wrapped pieces at a time. Fry covered reducing heat to medium for about 1-2 minutes turning the chicken once mid way. Fry till a light golden brown color is achieved. Check one piece for doneness.
- Drain on kitchen paper towels. Serve with lemon wedges or the traditional black sauce (I don’t care for this much though, I feel it overpowers all the delicate flavors of the delicious marinated Pandan chicken.
Thai Pandan Leaf Chicken
Key Ingredients: Chicken, Pandan Leaves. Dried Chili, Ginger, Garlic, Shallots, Lemongrass, Turmeric, Coconut Milk Powder, Coriander Root, Soy Sauce, Fish Sauce, Worcester Sauce, Sugar, White Pepper Powder, Cornflour, Sesame Oil, Oil,
Let us know if you tried it – Thai Pandan Leaf Chicken.