Strawberry Whipped Cream Sponge Cake
Total time is not inclusive of Chilling time.
This recipe is for a 15 cm/6 inch round cake (measurements for 18 cm and 21 cm cake can be found below- see notes).
The Recipe Intro includes the Video on how to prepare this wonderful cake. Check it out.
- 2 large eggs or 2 ½ small eggs - at ROOM temperature
- ½ cup / 60 gms caster sugar, fine grain
- 20 ml milk
- 2/3 cups / 60 gms cake flour
- 20 gms / 1Tbsp +1 tsp butter
- ½ tsp vanilla extract - optional
For Whipped Cream :
- 400 ml whipping cream
- 2 - 3 tsp icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla powder
Prepare the whipped cream the day before for best results:
- Chill the bowl and wire whisk for whipping the cream in freezer for 30 min.
- Also chill the cream.
- Place the bowl in an ice bath/bed. Add the whipping cream.
- Whisk till soft peaks form. Add the icing sugar and vanilla powder.
- Continue to whisk till stiff. At this point stop whisking or you’ll end up making butter. Cover the bowl of whipped cream with saran wrap/ cling film and place in the fridge overnight.
Next day: Strawberry Whipped Cream Sponge Cake
- Sift the flour twice for best results. Refer to video.
- Preheat oven to 180ºc/356 ºF.
- Soak your eggs in warm water for 5 minutes. This leads to better aeration and thus a higher cake.
- Prepare your 15 cm/6″ cake tin by lining bottom and sides with parchment paper.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl. Add the sugar.
- Bring water to a simmer in another bowl ( larger than the one with the egg). Simmer at 70ºc (I like to use my induction cooker for this).
- Whisk the eggs and sugar briefly by hand.
- Now place the bowl with the wicked egg inside the bowl of simmering water (it can be put down in the water) and whisk non stop by hand till the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is luke warm to the touch.
- Now, transfer to electric mixer and whisk on medium speed till light and fluffy.
- Heat milk for 20 seconds on high in microwave.
- Pour the milk into the whisked egg and whisk again till light and fluffy again.
- Add the vanilla extract now if using.
- Now add the flour in TWO batches into the batter , sprinkling all over the batter, stir with spatula by hand always turning in the same direction, till there is no more dry flour and the batter becomes glossy. Do not over stir.
- Heat butter in microwave till melted into an oil-like consistency and it should be hot.
- Add quickly into the batter and mix very quickly till no traces of liquid butter is left. Check by folding batter from bottom of bowl.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake for 18 minutes.
- When it is done, quickly remove the cake onto wire rack and allow to cool completely in the parchment paper.
- Once the cake is cooled, slice into 3 equal layers/portions.
- Top each layer with cream, sliced strawberries and a bit more cream.
- Frost the top layer and sides of the cake with an initial coating. Refrigerate for 30 m – 1 hour.
- Take out and frost with another smooth layer and decorate/pipe as desired. Decorate with strawberries. Refer to video.
- Chill till served. This cake must only be left at room temp for a max of 1 hour.
- SO GOOD!
Strawberry Whipped Cream Sponge Cake
- You can also use other fruits to decorate the cake.
- For a 18 cm/7 inch round cake
- 3 Large eggs – at ROOM temperature
- 90 gms sugar
- 30 ml milk
- 90 gms cake flour (sift twice)
- 30 gms butter
- ½ tsp vanilla extract – optional
- For a 21 cm/8.2 inch round cake
- 4 Large eggs – at ROOM temperature
- 120 gms sugar
- 40 ml milk
- 120 gms cake flour (sift twice)
- 40 gms butter
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract – optional
Key Ingredients: Flour, Eggs, Sugar, Milk, Butter, Whipping Cream, Icing Sugar, Strawberries, Vanilla.
Let us know if you tried it – Strawberry Whipped Cream Sponge Cake.