Salted Egg Chicken
Deliciously Rich and Creamy Fried Chicken Morsels in Salted Egg Yolk Sauce.
The Recipe Intro has step by step pictures , pictures of the salted egg and also full detail Video. Check it out↓
For the batter fried chicken:
- 450 gms chicken breast, cut into cubes
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 fresh egg
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup sweet potato flour - for extra texture
- As Needed, (salt, pepper and chilli flakes to season the flour)
- ¾ cup oil, for frying
For Salted Egg Yolk Sauce:
- 3 salted duck egg 'yolks'
- 2 Tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 3 small red chillies (chilli padi)
- 3 Tbsp fresh curry leaves
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
For the Batter Fried Chicken:
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces. Add one fresh egg.
- Season with salt and pepper. (Optional- Instead of salt, you can add enough of the separated salted egg white,which is quite salty).
- Mix well.
- In another bowl combine, tapioca flour, sweet potato flour along with salt, pepper and chilli flakes to taste.
- Mix well and coat the chicken pieces, one at a time. Shake off any extra flour.
- Fry in small batches using vegetable oil. Fry till a pale-gold color is achieved. Set aside the fried chicken.
For the delicious Salted Egg Yolk Sauce:
- Separate the ‘salted’ egg yolk from the whites. (We only need the yolk). To remove the charcoal paste from the salted eggs (if present), simply scrape gently and place under running tap water. (Be gently – remember – its a raw egg shell under there).
- Place in a bowl and steam for 5 minutes.Mash the steamed egg yolk and set aside to make the sauce.
- In a wok ( use non stick if this is your first time making this sauce), heat oil and add the curry leaves.
- Once the curry leaves are fried, remove the from the oil and set aside for later.
- Add the chopped garlic to the oil in the wok.
- Sauté briefly till softened and add the red chilli padi. (Small hot chillies).
- Stir and add butter. This adds flavor and keeps the garlic from going brown.
- When the butter has melted, add the mashed ‘steamed’ salted egg yolk and stir.
- You will notice that it starts to become creamy first and then frothy.
- Be careful with this step, you dont want to burn the sauce. Stir vigorously till the sauce is smooth and creamy without allowing it to ‘split’. This would cause the sauce to be oily.
- As soon as the sauce is smooth and foamy, add the fried chicken and the fried curry leaves and toss quickly.
- Remove from wok and serve immediately.
- This dish is great served over a bed of lettuce as an appetizer or as a side with rice or noodle dishes.
- Use up any extra, cut up into a free garden salad with lettuce, leaves and tomato.. A squeeze of lime adds a great flavor to the chicken too.
Salted Egg Chicken
Key Ingredients: Chicken, Salted Egg Yolks, Egg, Tapioca Flour, Sweet Potato Flour, Garlic, Curry Leaves, Oil, Butter, Salt, Pepper, Chilli Flakes.
EAT AND TELL!!!
Let us know if you tried – Salted Egg Chicken