Restaurant Style Chicken Changezi
Total time is not inclusive of Marination.
A delicious old recipe that has been around since the times of the Mongolian Warrior, Genghis Khan.
The Recipe Intro includes more info and Video on how to make this Restaurant style dish. Check it out↓
- 1 kg / 2.20 lbs chicken (I use bone-in chicken), cleaned, skinned and cut into small pieces
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder ( that's the milder chilli powder with the brighter red color)
- 1 tsp garam masala ( Indian Spice Mix, that comes in many variations - use your favorite one)
- 2 tsp ginger paste (fresh ginger, ground to a paste without adding water)
- 2 tsp garlic paste (fresh garlic, ground to a paste without adding water)
- 3 tsp tomato paste (commercial)
- ¾ cup yoghurt, beaten till smooth
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
For Onion Cashew Paste:
- 2 medium red onions, sliced
- 3 Tbsp unprocessed cashew nuts
- 1 1/2 Tbsp unprocessed almonds
- 4 Tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- ½ cup milk
For the masala/gravy:
- 2 Tbsp ghee plus 1 Tbsp (clarified butter)
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 Tbsp ginger garlic paste ( equal amounts of fresh ginger and garlic paste)
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp asafoetida (powdered gum, derived from a speicies of giant fennel: very common in Indian vegetarian cooking)
- ¼ tsp amchur powder (dry mango powder)
- ¼ tsp black salt (kala namak), a type of rock salt that comes in powdered form with a pungent smell, used as a condiment)
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- ¼ cup pouring cream
- To taste : salt
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 3 Tbsp mild green chilli, seeded and cut julienne
- As required Fresh coriander/ cilantro for garnish
- Clean, skin and cut the chicken into small pieces. Rub with turmeric and lime juice.
- Rinse the chicken after 2 minutes. This acts to remove any unpleasant chicken smells and as a disinfectant. This is often done in curries where milder spice is used.
- Pat dry the chicken to remove all excess water.
- Now, add all the ingredients listed under the ‘Marinade’ and rub well into the chicken.
- Refrigerate covered for 30 minutes.
- To make the onion-cashew paste: Heat the ghee in a non stick pan. Add the onion and allow to soften.
- Add the cashew nuts and almond and stir continuously till the onions become golden brown.
- Immediately remove from heat and allow to cool off.
- Add the fried ingredients as well as the milk to a mixer/blender. Grind to a smooth paste.
- To another non stick wok/pan, add the chicken along with the marinade. Bring to a simmer on high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer(steam) for 5 minutes.
- Uncover, increase heat and cook for a further 5-7 minutes, till the chicken is cooked and nicely coated with the marinade. (Stir occasionally). Set aside.
- Wipe clean the pan used for frying the onions. Heat 2 Tbsp of ghee for the masala and add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds have spluttered, add the ginger – garlic pastes and sauté briefly.
- Add the tomato puree and bring to a simmer. To this, add the prepared onion-cashew paste.
- Stir well and cook till the oil separates.
- Add all the spices except the garam masala. Cook for about a minute.
- Do a taste test and add regular salt as needed.
- Next, tip in the cooked chicken and return to a simmer. Add water as needed to loosen the gravy to desired consistency.
- Cook 2 more minutes.
- Fry the julliene cut green chilli in remaining ghee. Strain the ghee and add over the dish. Reserve the chilli for garnish. ( This is for garnish. You could just add them in together.)
- Pour in the cream and bring just to a simmer.
- Garnish with the friend green chilli julienne and chopped fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve the rich and creamy Chicken Changezi with hot buttery naans or tandoori style flatbreads.
Restaurant Style Chicken Changezi
- Although I prefer bone-in chicken for this recipe, boneless chicken may also be used. Just reduce the cooking times.
- Black Salt (kala namak), a type of rock salt that comes in powdered form with a pungent smell, used as a condiment).
Key Ingredients: Chicken, Onion, Tomato, Ginger, Garlic, Cashew nuts, Spices, Ghee, Cream, Green Chilli, Fresh Coriander.
EAT AND TELL!!!
Let us know if you tried – Restaurant Style Chicken Changezi