Spicy Shredded Crab Meat with Coconut.
- 1 large fresh crab ( about 1 kg)
- ½ cup fresh coconut bits ( not to be confused with grated coconut)
- 2 pieces of fish tamarind (gambooge)
- 8 large cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 heaped Tbsp of ginger, julienned
- 1 large mild green chilli, sliced
- A handful of fresh curry leaves
- 1 Tbsp chilli powder (I use the milder variety- Kashmiri chilli powder)
- ¾ Tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 large red onions sliced finely
- 2 tomatos, chopped
- To taste, salt
- Clean the crab, by removing the tail section (apron) and prying open the top shell to remove the spongy gills and the mandibles if you prefer.
- Cut the crab in half vertically. Separate the claw sections from the leg sections.
- Divide the claw sections and crack open with the back of a cleaver, gently.
- Also cut the leg sections, further into 4 segments.
- Add the crab to a pan with some water and add the gambooge. Bring the water to boil. Lower heat and cover. Cook for about 15 minutes. Prepare a bowl of iced water.
- Once cooked, drain the water and put the crab sections in the cold water for a minute and drain again.
- Now, remove all the meat from the crab. This gets faster with practice .
- Heat a heavy based skillet or wok and add the coconut oil.
- Add the coconut bits and fry on medium heat, till golden.
- Add the sliced onion, ginger, garlic, green chilli and curry leaves. Sauté on low heat till the ingredients are softened and light golden in color.
- Add all the spice powders except pepper. Stir till fragrant and the ‘raw’ smell of spices dissipates.
- Next, add the tomato. Continue to cook till the tomato cooks down and is mashed into the mixture.
- Now add the cooked crab meat and stir-fry for 2 minutes till the meat absorbs all the masala spice mix.
- Add salt and pepper at the very end.
- Stir through and remove from heat.
- This may be served as a side with rice.
- You can replace crab meat with canned tuna in this dish, to make a spicy tuna stir-fry.
Key Ingredients: Crab, Coconut Flesh, Onion, Ginger, Garlic, Green Chilli, Curry Leaves, Gambooge, Coconut Oil, Spices, Salt.
EAT AND TELL!!!
Let us know if you tried – Njandu Chikkiyathu
100 0 100 3