Kerala – Nadan Chicken Curry
An absolute favorite of anyone who loves Kerala Cuisine. Authentic and Original, Rustic Chicken Curry.
The Recipe Intro includes step by step pictures and Video on how to make Kerala – Nadan Chicken Curry . Check it out ↓ .
If you are sharing this recipe on your blog/page, kindly share the link to this page, instead of cut/copy etc.. All recipes are copyrighted material.
- One fresh chicken (1 kg aprox): skinned, cleaned, rinsed and drained.
- 1 large piece ginger, crushed
- 1 large bulb garlic, crushed
- 5 red onions, sliced
- ½ tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 pinch fenugreek seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 ½ Tbsp coriander powder
- 2 ½ Tbsp chilli powder (Use Kashmiri chilli powder if you like a medium spiced curry and hot chilli powder if you like it spicier)
- Whole spices: (1 clove, 2 cardamom pods, 1 " stick of cinnamon (very small piece) and ½ tsp Fennel / Aniseed). Crushed coarsely in a mortar.
- A large handful of fresh curry leaves
- ¼ - ½ cup coconut slivers / bits / 'thenga kothu'
- To taste: Salt ( about 1½ tsp)
- A dash of pepper
- 4 - 5 Tbsp Kerala coconut oil
- Heat coconut oil in a heavy-based, wide-mouthed pot (uruli).
- Add mustard seeds and allow to splutter.
- Also add fenugreek seeds and allow to just turn golden.
- Next add garlic and ginger and sauté till softened.
- Now add the sliced onions and sauté well.
- Add a little salt while sautéing. This speeds the process and enhances flavor.
- Continue cooking patiently around 10 minutes (or more), on med-low heat till the onions reduce to a thickened mixture ; almost like a paste.
- Add the spice powders: turmeric, coriander, chilli powder.
- Stir till aromatic. Careful not to burn.
- Tip in the chicken and toss gently but quickly, to coat thoroughly with the spice mixture.
- Add 1 – 1½ cups boiling hot water and add salt. Careful not to add too much water!
- Now, add the crushed whole spices.
- Cover and cook on medium-low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Add the curry leaves and coconut bits.
- Stir gently and cook covered for 10 more minutes.
- Lastly add a dash of pepper, or to taste.
- Remove from heat. Cover and allow to rest for at least half an hour for best settling of flavors.
- Delicious Kerala – Nadan Chicken Curry is ready to be enjoyed with your loved ones.
- Serve with ghee rice or plain (Kerala) rice. Enjoy!
Kerala – Nadan Chicken Curry
- Key ingredients to the success of this dish are coconut oil, curry leaves, coconut bits and the spices (powdered as well as crushed).
- You can add a little more water if you like a ‘looser’ curry, but careful not to add too much as the flavor will be diluted too.
- Special Note : this curry is cooked on a low to medium heat for the majority of the time.
- Optional. Rinse the cleaned chicken pieces and then apply some turmeric and lime juice for 5 minutes. Then rinse again. This removes the raw chicken smell and also acts as a disinfectant.
The Video of this Recipe is also available in the Malayalam Language. Click here for Malayalam Video.
Key Ingredients: Chicken, Onion, Ginger, Garlic, Coconut Oil, Curry Leaves, Spices, Coconut Slivers.
EAT AND TELL!!!
Let us know if you tried – Kerala – Nadan Chicken Curry