Chole (Chickpeas) Bhature
Total time is not inclusive of time taken for rising of dough for Bhature.
The ever popular, curried chickpeas with fried Indian flatbread! Easy and delicious!
The Recipe Intro has step by step pictures. Check it out.
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- ¾ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala (store bought Punjabi style garam masala or use the garam masala recipe given below)
- ¾ tsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 ½ Tbsp unsalted butter
- To taste: salt
- 1 Tbsp ginger julienned
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 2 Tbsp oil(I use rice bran oil)
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp active dried yeast
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 cup yoghurt, beaten
- 2 tsp ghee
- As needed: extra plain flour for dusting
- To taste: salt
- As needed: Vegetable/Rice bran oil for deep frying
- As needed: water, for kneading
- Soak the chick peas in water overnight or 8 hours.
- Drain the soaking water. Add to a pressure cooker with salt and enough water to cover the chickpeas (1 or 2 inches above the chickpeas).
- Pressure cook for 10 minutes. Allow to cool and check that the chick peas are cooked. (I remove the chickpeas with a slotted spoon from the stock and put them in cool water briefly- to stop the cooking process. Keep drained. Reserve the cooking water (stock).
- In a pan/skillet, heat the oil and add cumin seeds.
- Once the cumin has popped, add the chopped onion and allow to soften.
- Add the ginger and garlic pastes and cook till the raw smell dissipates.
- Next, add the chopped tomato and cook on medium heat till the tomatoes are cooked down and you are able to mash them to a pulp.
- Once the tomatoes are mashed, add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and garam masala. Stir and cook till fragrant.
- Also add the kasuri methi(crushed using your fingers) as well as butter. Stir till the better melts into the masala, making in glossy.
- Add the cooked (drained) chickpeas and toss in the masala, allowing to be coated in the masala.
- Add more salt to taste as well as the coriander powder. Toss the chick peas lightly to coat with the coriander powder.
- Return the stock from cooking the chickpeas. You can add more water if the stock is insufficient in quantity.
- Bring to a boil and check seasoning once again(SALT).
- Once boiled, lower heat to low and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- The chickpeas should have a slightly creamy coating of the gravy.
- Garnish with the ginger juliennes and chopped fresh coriander.
- Serve with freshly made Bhature.
- Add the yeast and sugar to half cup of lukewarm water. Set aside for 10 minutes, till frothy.
- Meanwhile measure flour, yoghurt and salt to a bowl.
- Add the proved yeast solution to the flour and stir with a ladle till it comes together.
- Add only enough water to help to knead the dough. Knead till soft round ball and rub all over with the ghee.
- Cover and place in a draft free space for 6-8 hours.
- Heat oil in a wok – for frying.
- Dust your hands with plain flour and knead the risen dough once again. Divide into 10 portions.
- Dust the rolling pin and surface lightly and roll the bhature easily as round as you can get them without applying too much pressure. They must not be too thin.
- Check if oil is hot enough by pinching a tiny bit of dough into the oil. It should rise to the surface immediately if oil is ready.
- Add one bhature at a time into the oil. As soon as it puffs up, use a slotted steel ladle to gently press the surface of the bhature to help it to puff up more. Once the bottom is golden, flip over gently and fry the other side. Press gently with side of ladle to halp it puff up again.Repeat with all the bhature.
- Serve hot with garnished chole and onion rings.
For Special Garam Masala:
For Special Garam Masala: note that some of these spices are hard to find, hence using store bought garam masala is recommended
- 4 Tbsp coriander seeds /sabut dhania
- 1 Tbsp cumin seeds /jeera
- 3 Dried Kashmiri Chillies
- 1 ½ Tbsp stone flower/pathar phool/dagad phool
- 4 Indian bay leaf / tej patta / tamal patra
- 12 clove stems / lavang kandi
- 10 cloves / lavang
- ¼ tsp black pepper / sabut kali mirch
- 1 tsp caraway seeds / shahjeera
- 2 black cardamom / badi elachi, seeds and husk removed
- 3 green cardamom / hari elachi / choti elachi, seeds and husk removed
- 1 tsp cobras saffron / nag kesar
- 1 tsp saffron / kesar
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
Method For Special Garam Masala:
- Add all ingredients to a frying pan (dry) and roast for 2 minutes.
- Add ½ tsp sea salt & Grind in a coffee grinder to a fine powder. Store in airtight jar.
Chole (Chickpeas) Bhature
Key Ingredients: (Cholay) Chickpeas, Onion, Ginger, Garlic, Tomato, Spices, Oil, Butter. (Bhature) Plain flour, Yoghurt, Yeast, Salt, Sugar, Oil.
EAT AND TELL!!!
Let us know if you tried – Chole (Chickpeas) Bhature