Asian Chicken Chops Black Pepper Sauce
- 2 Chicken thighs or Legs ( this is important- doesn't really work with breasts) - boneless and with skin kept on!
- As required: spring onion greens, chopped - for garnish
- 1 Tbsp light soy sauce
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 Tbsp water
- As required, oil for pan grilling / frying
For the Black Pepper Sauce:
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly (Vidalia Onions are great for this sauce)
- 3 tsp garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp black pepper corns
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp cornflour, mixed with 1 cup water
- 1 tsp Asian sesame oil
- Wash and rinse the boneless chicken with skin well.
- Cut away any yellowish bits of fat and discard. Keep the skin intact. Drain well.
- Combine all the ingredients for marinade well in a bowl or ziplock bag (for easy cleanup).
- Add the chicken and rub thoroughly with the marinade for a minute.
- Cover and keep refrigerated for 1 hour. Place outside at room temperature 15 minutes before grilling.
Prepare the sauce ingredients and grill the chicken:
- Slice onions, mince garlic, set aside these ingredients to make the sauce.
- Crush the black pepper to a grainy texture. Do not use pepper powder.
- Heat a non – stick pan or grill pan with just enough oil to grill/fry the chicken ( 2-3 Tbsp). I like to use a pan with deep sides to avoid splatter and mess.
- Once somewhat hot – but not too hot, place the chicken skin side down and slide around in the oil. ( This ensures that the skin does not stick to the pan).
- Leave the pieces undisturbed till the bottom is golden and comes off the pan easily. (2-3 minutes on medium heat).
- Turn over and allow the second side to turn golden as well.
Prepare the sauce:
- In another non stick pan or wok, heat the sesame oil.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute well till softened and light golden. (Not Brown).
- Add the sauces, sugar and crushed black pepper. Cook Black Pepper on med low heat to avoid the sauce from going bitter.
- Cook briefly, stirring and then add the cornflour-water solution. Stir for a while till slightly thickened.
- Pick up the grilled chicken pieces and place them into the simmering, thickening sauce.
- Allow to simmer gently till the sauce reduces and creates a lovely coating for the chicken.
- Serve hot. Garnish with spring onion greens.
- Suggested sides for Asian Chicken Chops: Baked Potato wedges or fries, White rice and sautéed baby spinach(chopped finely) in sunflower oil with minced garlic and oyster sauce.
Chicken Chops Black Pepper Sauce
- Keeping the skin on whilst grilling/frying, keeps the chicken ultra moist. Chicken should be grilled evenly to a golden color. If you choose, you may remove the skin prior to serving.
Key Ingredients: Chicken thigh, Onion, Garlic, Black Pepper, Scallion, Light Soy, Worcester, Brown sugar, Cornflour, Sesame Oil, Salt.
Let us know if you tried it – Chicken Chops Black Pepper Sauce.
98.8095238095 0 100 168