Best Home Made Chicken Burger Patty
This Recipe for Best Home Made Chicken Burger Patty makes four burgers. Double as necessary.
The Recipe Intro has step by step pictures and Video. Check it out.
- 250 gms (a little over 1/2 lb ) minced chicken, rinsed and drained
- 1 slice of bread made into crumbs
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1-2 Tbsp chopped scallions /spring onion greens
- ½ tsp dijon mustard - Must be Dijon!
- ½ tsp lime/lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp oil
- 4 Burger Buns
- 1 large Tomato
- 8 leaves of Iceberg Lettuce, cut the same size as the buns
- As required, dill pickles (optional )
- As required, Hellmans Mayonnaise and Heinz Ketchup
- Add the drained mince to a bowl. Add the bread crumbs and mix gently with hands.
- Also add the powders( onion, garlic, pepper) and salt next. Combine well gently.
- Next add thefreshly chopped scallions and combine again.
- Mix in the lemon juice and Dijon Mustard and combine once more.
- (Mix very gently with your hands till well mixed).
- Divide into 4 equal sized balls and then place on waxed paper to flatten into patties.
- When making the patties, ensure that the centre is indented a bit more than the outer rim. This helps the patties to keep their size while grilling.
- Place in freezer 10 minutes or till set. The patties must be stiff when we take them out and place them on the grill.
- Heat the Indoor/ Outdoor grill or Grill Pan. Add oil to coat. (Just enough oil to coat the entire surface of the grill pan).
- Place the patties (2 at a time if necessary) on the pan as it is heating up (not too hot).
- Do not disturb the patties once laid on the pan.
- Keep watch, tilting the pan a couple of times so that the oil runs under the patties evenly.
- You will start to see the burgers turning white from the bottom and slowly being cooked upwards.
- Once they are white half way up, Flip them over with a non-stick spatula. (They should flip easily).
- They will have nice grill marks.
- Again, do not disturb the patties once flipped. Wait for the bottom half to get cook upwards like before.
- They will not take as much time on the second side as the first, but when they have turned golden around the brim, you will need to press gently with you spatula on the center of the patties (to grill the indented portion of our patties). Oil will splutter during this process, you might like to use an oil guard. The second side may not develop the distinct grill marks like the first side. That is ok.
- Remove your patties to a plate. (DO NOT OVER GRILL THEM or they will loose all moisture and be very dry).
Assemble the Best Home Made Chicken Burger Patty
- With a serrated knife, slice the burger buns in half and grill on the same pan (wiped clean) as your patties till golden.
- Mix mayonnaise and ketchup in equal portions, more or less and apply to both top and bottom bun.
- Lay each patty on the Bottom bun, followed by pickle, lettuce and tomato. (Onion is optional- not really required for a chicken burger). Press down gently with Top bun.
- Serve while the patties are still hot.
Best Home Made Chicken Burger Patty
- The gentle mixing of the mince into a patty is key to having a nice moist patty.
- No Over Mixing with hard kneading movements.
- When pressing the patties into shape on waxed paper, avoid pressing them too thinly: they will be hard to flip over. Distribute the mince evenly with just a little indentation on the centre.
- If your burger has to be reheated, remove the top bun with the veggies. flip over and set aside.
- Heat the bottom bun along with the patty in the microwave for 10 seconds and cover with the top bun again.
- Do not reheat the veggies.
- Although chicken burgers don’t need onion you can use sliced yellow onion too if you like.
- Picky eaters: Substitue the veggies for cheese slice and broil over the patty till melted and serve. See video.
- If you need to freeze the patties, do so in a single layer on a tray. once frozen, pack together with a piece of parchment paper in between each patty.
Key Ingredients: Chicken, Onion Powder, Garlic, Powder, Pepper, Salt, Scallions, Dijon Mustard, Lime juice, Bread, Tomato, Lettuce, Onion, Pickle, Oil, Mayonnaise.
Let us know if you tried it – Best Home Made Chicken Burger Patty.