Total time is not inclusive of Marination(8 hours/overnight).
The Recipe Intro includes links to Home made Arabic Pickle recipe, Home made Tahini recipe and Home made Khubz recipe with video. Check it out.
- 1 kg / 2.20 lbs good cut of beef (suitable for frying/stir-frying)
- 1 cup thick yoghurt
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp hot sauce / tabasco sauce
- 4 large cloves garlic, crushed / pounded
- 1 Tbsp shallots, crushed/ pounded
Home made Beef Shawarma Spice Mix
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp mace
- ¼ tsp green cardamom
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp black pepper corns
- ½ tsp red chilli flakes / powder
For the Tarator Sauce with Yoghurt:
- ½ cup tahini /sesame seed paste(see my recipe)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp water
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed to a paste
- 2 Tbsp yoghurt
- To taste: salt
- As needed: salt, black pepper powder and allspice to season
- As needed: chopped mint and parsley
- As needed: tomato wedges
- As needed: sliced onion
- 8-10 Khubz / Pita breads (see my recipe)
- Cut the beef against the grain into small, thin pieces.
- Rinse well and drain. Pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Grind all the spices for the Home made Shawarma, together to a powder.
- Add the beef to a bowl, along with the spice mix, yoghurt, lemon juice, vinegar, hot sauce, olive oil, garlic, and shallots. Stir well or mix with hands to marinate the beef.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
To make the Tarator Sauce with Yoghurt:
- Mince or pound the garlic to a paste, with salt.
- Add the lemon juice, tahini and water.
- Use a fork or whisk to beat it well, till it turns white.
- Whisk in the yoghurt till smooth.
- Taste and add salt and lemon juice if needed. Or loosen with water if needed.
- Add finely copped parsley to this if you want to serve it separately.
Cook the beef:
- Remove the beef from the refrigerator, 30 minutes before cooking. (It should come down to room temperature).
- Add the beef and its marinade to a heavy bottomed skillet OR a deep non stick pan with a tight lid.
- Heat till the mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook covered for about 40 minutes.
- Don’t forget to stir occasionally. The juices should all evaporate.
- Just before all the moisture is gone, add pepper, allspice and just a dash of salt.
- Meat should be cooked tender. You can keep adding a little water at a time if the beef needs more cooking. You will also have slight char marks from stirring till all moisture.
- Spread a little taratour sauce vertically, over the middle of the pita.
- Cover it with a line of cooked beef.
- Top with a few tomato wedges and some slices of onion.
- Cover scantily, with the chopped herbs.
- Drizzle more sauce over the top as you like.
- Wrap in food safe paper or aluminum foil and serve hot!
Home Made Beef Shawarma Recipe
- The tahini paste used, should be nice and creamy. Stir well before adding to the sauce.
- If you don’t have allspice, use equal quantities of ground cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
Key Ingredients: Beef, Yoghurt, Spices, Herbs, Pita Bread, Tomato, Onion, Sesame Paste, Garlic, Shallots, Salt.
Let us know if you tried it – Beef Shawarma.