Beef Keema Samosa
A smoky flavored beef and potato samosa, mae with store bought samosa pastry.
A handy recipe for Ramadan.
The Recipe Intro includes the Video on how to make Beef Keema Samosa. Check it out.
- 500 gms minced beef (or mutton)
- 2 large potatoes, suitable for mashing (I like Hertha Potatoes)
- 1 pack of ready made samosa pastry
- ½ cup shallots, crushed or pounded
- 2 tsp ginger, crushed or pounded
- 1 ½ tsp garlic, crushed or pounded
- 1 ½ medium red (purple) onions, sliced
- 1 ½ tsp freshly cracked black pepper corns
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp meat masala powder of choice
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- To taste, salt (about ¾ tsp)
- 1 medium Vidalia onion (yellow onion), finely chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp mild green chili , finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 4 Tbsp coriander (cilantro), finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp scallions/ spring onion greens, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp curry leaves, finely chopped
- Place the frozen samosa pastry at room temperature to thaw, according to package instructions.
- Boil the potatoes in a pressure cooker for 5 steam whistles, till soft. Drain, peel and mash. Set aside.
- Add the minced meat to a pressure cooker along with the shallots, ginger, garlic, purple onion, tomato, black pepper, spice powders and salt.
- Do not add any water. Close the pressure cooker and cook on medium high for 8 steam whistles. Allow to cool.
- Open the pressure cooker. If there is any residual liquid, continue cooking ‘uncovered’ till the liquid evaporates. Stir to prevent any scorching of ingredients.
- Heat oil in a non stick wok or pan. Add the chopped Vidalia onion and green chili. Sauté till just softened.
- Add the cooked minced mixture and fry well on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Taste and add more seasoning if needed.. a little more coriander powder , meat masala.. and salt.
- Now add the chopped herbs and mashed potato. Mix everything thoroughly.
- Place the thawed samosa pastry under a damp cloth. Peel one leaf/sheet at a time. Keep the remaining sheets under the damp cloth at all times to prevent drying out and cracking.
- Take about 1 ½ Tbsp of filling per sheet and wrap the samosas. (Refer video).
To freeze the samosas:
- Place the samosas on a tray lined with parchment paper. Make sure they are separate and not touching.
- Place another layer of samosas with another parchment paper in between.
- Cover with clog wrap and place in freezer till frozen. Once frozen, they can be removed from the tray and placed together in a zipper bag. Return to freezer till ready to fry.
- Heat oil for shallow frying and add small batches of the frozen samosa and on a constant medium heat, fry both sides till golden and crisp. Drain on paper towels.
Beef Keema Samosa
- When frying make sure the oil is hot enough to provide an constant sizzle. However the oil should not be so hot that the pastry becomes brown before the filling has a chance to heat through. Keep adjusting the heat accordingly.
Key Ingredients: Minced Meat, Samosa Pastry, Onion, Garlic, Ginger, Chilli, Spices, Potato, Black pepper, Oil, Herbs.
Let us know if you tried it – Beef Keema Samosa. Thanks for visiting www.recipesaresimple.com .