Barbecue Chicken Burger
A crumb coated chicken patty with a smoky edge to it.
The Recipe Intro includes step by step pictures and Video. Check it out.
- 4 Burger Buns (Check out the home made burger bun recipe link at the top of this page).
- As needed, Sliced Tomato, Lettuce, Cheese Slices, Onion - use toppings as desired
- 1 - 2 Tbsp oil for shallow frying the patties
For the patties:
- 350 gms minced chicken
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¹⁄8 tsp ground ginger (powder)
- 2 tsp corn flour
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 ½ tsp worcester sauce
- 2 tsp tomato ketchup (heinz)
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder or 1 tsp minced garlic
- ¹⁄3 tsp onion powder or ¾ tsp minced shallots
- 2 Tbsp chopped spring onion (greens)
- 1 tsp melted butter
For crumb coating:
- 1 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1 ¼ tsp paprika or more
- 1 tsp freshly cracked / crushed black pepper
- ¼ cup cornflour
- A dash of salt
For the Barbecue Sauce:
- 1½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup water
- 2 Tbsp Worcester sauce
- 2 tsp liquid smoke (optional , I used MESQUITE liquid smoke)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp cayenne (chilli powder)
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder (yellow)
- ¼ cup onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp brown Sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- Add minced chicken to a bowl. Add all other ingredients For the patties .
- Gently work the mince with hands to form an evenly distributed mix.
- Add ingredients for the Crumb Coating to a wide dish or plate.
- Mix well with fork to distribute evenly. Add a little bit more paprika if needed to get a slight reddish color.
- Press gently to a small ball/ patty first, using your palms.
- Press each of these into the plate of crumb mixture and press gently to make a wider and thinner patty. Press so that that crumb coating adheres to the moist patty.
- Transfer each patty to a tray lined with greaseproof /parchment paper.
- When all the patties are done, press and shape the patties, using the grease proof paper as support to ensure all the patties are round and evenly shaped.
- Place these in the freezer till set.
- These can be kept frozen for use at a later time too. Once frozen, you can stack them and store them.
- When time to cook, heat very little oil and a frying pan. About 1 Tbsp.
- As the oil begins to heat up and before it is too hot, place the patties in the pan.
- Cook on a steady, low heat, making sure there is a constant sizzle sound in the pan. If you don’t hear anything , your pan is not hot enough.
- About 1 – 2 minutes per side will do. Minced chicken cooks quite fast.
- Press gently over second side. a COOKED patty will give some bounce.
- If overcooked the patty will taste dry and bland. Keep it moist and flavorful!
- Place the cooked patties on kitchen paper towel to absorb the oil.
- Cut burger buns in half. Place on the pan to toast the inner sides.
- Add a little ketchup and mayo on the bottom bun.
- Add some freshly cracked black pepper if desired.
- Or you can use a simple BBQ Sauce instead of ketchup-mayo, if you like that.
- Place the patty over the sauce.
- Place a slice of cheese over the patty (optional).
- Broil or microwave briefly to melt the cheese a bit.
- Add the desired extra toppings; sliced tomato, onion, lettuce etc..
- Serve immediately.
- For the optional Homemade BBQ SAUCE: Combine all ingredients for the sauce in a saucepan (non stick is good) and stir to mix.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Wipe down sides of pan with a wet silicone brush occasionally.
- Allow to cool completely. You can remove any separated oil using an oil strainer, or simply pour off.
- Store in airtight jar in the fridge.
Barbecue Chicken Burger
Key Ingredients: Chicken, Bun, Spices,Tomato, Lettuce, Soy sauce, Worcester sauce, Ketchup , Lime juice, Butter, Oil.
Let me know if you tried – Barbecue Chicken Burger