Aloo Chana Chat (Dahi Aloo Chana Chaat) ,is A refreshing chaat item, made with potatoes, chickpeas in a yoghurt sauce. It may be served as a side dish, along the Main meal or as a starter. Easy to whip up and satisfying!
The Recipe includes a small list of other popular Chaat Items. Check it out.
Dahi – Yoghurt
Aloo – Potato
- ¾ cup dried chickpeas or use 1 can of chickpeas
- 3 potatoes
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 - 2 long green chillies, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup fresh coriander/cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup thick, sour yoghurt
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ tsp white pepper powder
- ¼ tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- To taste: salt
- As required: roasted cumin powder and extra chilli powder
- Aloo Bhujia (Crispy Potato Noodle Snack) As required:
- (If using dried chickpeas) : Soak the chick peas in water overnight or 8 hours.
- Drain the soaking water. Add to a pressure cooker with salt and enough water to cover the chickpeas (1 or 2 inches above the chickpeas).
- Pressure cook for 10 minutes. Allow to cool and check that the chick peas are cooked. (I remove the chickpeas with a slotted spoon from the stock and put them in cool water briefly- to stop the cooking process. Keep drained. (If using canned chickpeas, simply drain from it’s liquid and set aside).
- Make a light cut all around the rinsed potatoes and add to a pressure cooker, covered with water.
- Cook for 5 steam whistles and allow the cooker to cool. Drain the water and put the potatoes in cool water, so that you can peel them easily. Dice and set aside.
- Add the thick yoghurt to a bowl.(Indian style – set yoghurt which is slightly more sour than regular set yoghurt is best for most chaat recipes).
- Pour the milk into this and whisk till the mixture is smooth.
- Add white pepper powder, chilli powder, sugar and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Add the diced potato, onion and green chilli to a large bowl. Toss gently.
- Pour the prepared yoghurt mixture on top and mix gently again. (Do this shortly before serving. Keep everything chilled, if you plan on serving this later).
- Immediately prior to serving: Sprinkle roasted cumin powder and extra chilli powder. Garnish with chopped coriander.
- Top with the Aloo Bhujia / Potato noodle snack.Â Serve immediately.
- Add a little tamarind chutneyon top if you like the flavour.
- Crispy Sev may be used instead of Aloo Bhujia, although I highly recommend the latter.
- This chaat must be cool when serving. Remove from the fridge (if it has been chilled) 10 minutes before serving so that it is not too cold.
- To make ahead, keep the Potato, Chickpeas and Onion tossed together and covered tightly in the fridge. Also, keep the yoghurt mixture, prepped and ready. Assemble with the remaining spice, garnish and Crispy topping immediately before serving! Great planned starter dish for any party!
Dahi Aloo Chana Chaat
Key Ingredients: Potato, Chickpeas, Yoghurt, Milk, Onion, Coriander, Spices, Salt, Sugar, Aloo Bhujia(Potato Snack).
EAT AND TELL!!!
Let us know if you tried – Dahi Aloo Chana Chaat