Prawn Tikka – Deliciously Simple Grilled Shrimp/Prawn
First introduced into India in the 16th century by the Mughals, Kebabs have come into their own in Indian Tandoori Cuisine. Unique and Creative kebab dishes are aplenty using traditional Indian spices and marinating techniques.
The trick to the marinations is the use of ‘hung yoghurt ‘ to keep the meat, poultry etc. extremely succulent .
Traditionally, kebabs are skewered pieces of meats or vegetables cooked in a tandoor oven, grill or even under the convection oven broiler. But these days, kebabs can be made using paneer, chicken, seafood or even fruit!
These Delicious Prawn Tikka Kebabs offer a subtle yet wonderful flavor! A ‘must try’ for my seafood loving friends.
- 20 medium sized prawn/shrimp
- ¼ tsp fenugreek powder
- 2 Tbsp Ginger Garlic ( a Tbsp of each crushed to a fine paste)
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice (small Indian limes work great)
- 10 curry leaves OR for a distinct aroma use ¾ tsp powdered curry leave powder if available
- 1 cup fresh cilantro /coriander
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 long green chillies
- 1 cup ‘hung’ yoghurt
- 3 Tbsp fresh cream
- 2 tsp Kashmir chilly powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala powder
- 2 Tbsp Cornflour
- 3 Tbsp oil /Mustard oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and pepper
- Peel, devein the prawns leaving just the tail tip intact for decorative purposes,if desired.
- Marinate the drained prawn with half the ginger garlic paste, fenugreek powder, lemon juice and salt and leave for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, leave the yoghurt to hang in a muslin cloth to remove the whey and get a thickened yoghurt.
- Grind the curry leaves, coriander, mint and green chillies to a fine paste.
- In a bowl, combine this coriander paste with the yoghurt, cream, remaining ginger-garlic paste, chilli powder, garam masala, cornflour, oil and egg.
- Mix well till you get a homogenous mixture.
- Squeeze out the excess moisture from the prawns gently and add to this Yoghurt Mixture.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven 200ºc /400º F
- Thread the prawns onto skewers leaving some space between each. Drizzle the marinade over them
- Broil or cook in the preheated oven for 3 minutes on each side basting with a little mustard oil in between.
- Alternatively they can be cooked on a grill pan 3-4 minutes each side till cooked.
- Serve hot. Cover with aluminum foil till served.
- Serve with lemon wedges and salad.
If you enjoyed the Prawn Tikka Recipe, leave a comment.