Nadan Parippu Curry – Dal Curry for Kerala Sadhya
This is the traditional method of preparing delicious Nadan Parippu Curry. I absolutely love this with some fresh ghee drizzled on top of the hot dal curry. Husked Moong dal is used for this dish. Give me a plate of rice, some of this awesome parippu curry, ghee, some papad and – that’s all I need!
This is the type of dal that is made for traditional Sadhyas and Feasts. Loosen the texture further by adding more water.
Nadan Parippu Curry
You are here: Home > Kerala/ Malabar > Nadan Parippu Curry
Recipe Name: Nadan Parippu Curry
Cuisine: Kerala / Onam
Author: Shana c/o Recipes ‘R’ Simple
Prep time: 5
Yield: (6 servings)
- 1 cup husked green beans / Mung beans / Moong Dal
- 3 cups water – or according to desired looseness of the curry
- ¾ tsp salt or to taste
To be ground to a paste:
- 4 cloves garlic (small sized)
- ¾ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut, tightly packed
For seasoning/ tempering:
- 4 tsp refined oil / vegetable oil
- 3 tsp ghee
- ½ tsp black mustard seeds
- 2 shallots, sliced thinly
- a few curry leaves
- 1 ½ Tbsp dried chillies, cut into quarters (I use the milder variety)
- Dry roast the dal in a heavy bottoms skillet or wok on low heat. Keep stirring till heated through and slightly nutty or glossy- no change in color should occur.
- Put the dal in a pressure cooker and cooke for 2-3 steam whistles,
- Alternatively, cook uncovered in a pan on medium heat till the dal is tender, somewhat mash-able.
- Meanwhile add the coconut, garlic cumin and turmeric to a small mixer/grinder. Add just enough water (very little) to grind to a smooth paste. (As smooth as possible).
- Once the dal is cooked tender, add the paste and salt.
- Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Heat the oil and ghee mixture in a small pan. Add the seasoning ingredients and allow to splutter. (Make sure there is no blackening of the dried chilli).
- Add over the curry.
- Serve hot.
Nadan Parippu Curry
- The dal can thicken on resting. Loosen by adding very thin coconut milk or water and heating to a simmer.
Key Ingredients: Moong dal, Coconut, Turmeric, Cumin, Shallots, Dried chillies, Curry leaves, Mustard seeds, Ghee, Oil, Salt,
Let us know if you tried it – Nadan Parippu Curry . Comments from you provide motivation to keep up the driving force behind this blog, bringing you more delicious and perfected recipes regularly. Please do leave a comment. We love to hear from you.