A peppery Beef Curry with the addition of these earthy bites ( Koorka) or Chinese potatoes. Koorka Irechi is great served with Paratta or Rice. The color is darker, without the red tinge of chili powder. The taste, reminiscent of a beef or mutton soup. Different and Yummy!
You are here: Home > Beef and Mutton Recipes > Koorka Irachi
Recipe Name: Koorka Irachi
Recipe Type: Beef Recipe
Author: Shana @ Recipes ‘R’ Simple
Prep time: 40
Cook time: 20 min
Yield: 6 servings
- 800- 850 gms beef, cut into small bite size pieces
- ¾ cup, peeled, rinsed chinese potato / koorka cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 up shallots
- 2 Tbsp garlic
- 2 Tbsp ginger
- 2 small green chillies or 1 long green chili, sliced
- 2-3 stalks of curry leaves
- salt to taste – roughly 1 tsp
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp plus ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp plus ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- 3 tsp coriander powder
- 4-5 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3-4 Tbsp, fresh, chopped coriander
- Rinse the beef pieces thoroughly. Leave to drain.
- Add the beef to a pressure cooker with
- the black pepper powder
- 1 tsp of the garam masala powder
- ½ tsp of the turmeric powder
- 1 stalk of curry leaves
- Rub the ingredients into the beef well with hands. Allow to marinate for 20 minutes. Meanwhile chop up remaining ingredients.
- Add the ginger and garlic to a small food processor and chop semi- finely. Remove and set aside. Next add the shallots and chop similarly.
- Once the beef has marinated, add just a small quantity of water and cook the beef in the pressure cooker on high with the weight placed o the steam vent.
- When you hear the first steam whistle, reduce heat to medium and cook for another 8 steam whistles.
- Manually cool the cooker under running water and open. If there is any water left, return to stove and cook till the water runs dry without burning.
- Remove the beef to a plate and rinse out the cooker.
- Return to stove. Add oil and heat.
- Add the chopped ginger and garlic first. When soft, add the shallots, green chili and curry leaves. Sauté till the onions are lightly colored.
- Add the coriander powder, chili powder and remaining turmeric and garam masala. Toss till aromatic.
- Add the partially cooked beef and turn up the heat. Toss continuously till the beef is coated with the sautéed ingredients.
- Add in the chopped chinese potatoes now.
- Also add a small quantity (¼ cup or so) of hot water and place the lid and pressure regulator back on. Cook for a further 3-4 steams. (This varies depending on the initial tenderness of the once cooked beef. Use discretion).
- The beef should be tender and the ‘koorka’ must be tender with some bite.
- Garnish with some fresh coriander leaves.
Key Ingredients: Beef, Chinese Potatoes, Onion, Garlic, Ginger, Green Chillies, Curry Leaves, Oil, Spices, Salt.
Have you tried our – Koorka Irachi Recipe? Comments from you provide motivation to keep up the driving force behind this blog, bringing you more delicious and perfected recipes regularly. Please do leave a comment. We love to hear from you.