The term ‘Kacchi Biryani’, refers to the meat being marinated in yogurt and cooked along with the rice in a sealed pot.
Whereas another method,termed the ‘Pakki’ Biryani, means the meat masala is cooked first and and then combined together with rice in a sealed pot for the → dum’ → Whats that?
- 1 kg Chicken(or Mutton)
- 1 Cup Yoghurt
- 2 Tomatoes Chopped
- 2 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 3 green chilly sliced
- 1 handful each of corriander leaves and mint leaves chopped
- 2 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala powder
- 1 tsp Paste Of raw Papaya(this is a natural meat tenderizer)
- 4 red onions sliced finely (to fry)
- 1 tsp salt
Rice and other ingredients:
- 1 kg/4 cups Rice
- 1/2 – 1 cup oil to fry the onions
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 1 tsp Kewra Essence (screwpine)
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- Fry the onions in oil till a nice golden brown. Drain and add all but ½ a cup of this to the chicken with all the other marinade ingredients→ 4-5 hours.
- Soak the rice → ½hours
- Bring a large pot with 10-12 cups of water to a boil. Add whole spices cinnamon, cardamom and cloves and enough salt to season our boiling water(taste test the water).
- Add the washed rice and allow to cook to al-dente(¾ cooked). Stir occasionally and check for doneness.
- It is important that you don’t cook the rice all the way at this stage or the biriyani will end up mushy.
- When the rice is ¾ cooked- it will look cooked,there will be a bite left and it will crumble easily.
- Spread the marinated chicken in a large deep pan .
- Now with a slotted spoon, layer the rice over the marinated chicken allowing a little of the rice stock to be added as well as you spoon over the rice( this will help to keep the biriyani moist). Add ½ the rice.Spread evenly.
- Sprinkle ¼-½ cup of ghee, kewra essence and milk mixed with saffron all over the top
Did you enjoy our Kacchi Biryani Recipe ?
The Dum:(the sealed cooking method)
- Mix the flour with enough water and knead too a smooth pliable dough.Roll into a piping and cover the rim of the Biriyani pot all the way around.Press lightly with fingers.
- Now place the lid atop this dough rimming.
- Cook on lowor about 15 minutes.. till a steady steam shoots through any small opening in this ‘dough rim’
- Then lower the heat and cook for another 10 minutes.(you may place a heated grill pan below the biriyani pot at this stage to ensure that the bottom layer does not burn and cok a little longer for mutton)
- Lift off the top and carefully scoop the rice from the bottom on one side to check doneness!!
- Serve hot!
You may also like: