Indian Chilli Chicken
Another hugely requested recipe in the Indo Chinese Series. Served with some flat bread or rice, Chilli Chicken can be very mildly spiced to very hot depending on whether you use really hot or mild chilly powder and deseeded green chillies. If you don’t like heat , don’t let the name deter you.
- 1 kg chicken pieces( with bone is better)
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped celery ( the thin stems and leaves)
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp + 1 Tbsp light soya sauce
- 3 Tbsp tsp cornflour
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp garlic , just crushed with the skin intact
- 1 Tbsp green chilly seeded and sliced into rounds
- 2 onions sliced or chopped to squares
- optional- red food color, celery leaves, spring onions, capsicum for garnish
- Cut the boneless chicken pieces into 1 ” cubes.
- Add to a sauce pan with the celery, vinegar, soya sauce, salt to taste and just enough water to cook the chicken half way (around ½-1 cup). Allow the water to evaporate
- To a bowl add 1 Tbsp soya sauce, 3 tbsp corn flour and egg. Mix well to combine. Coat the drained chicken pieces in the this mixture .
- Heat oil and deep fry at medium high till golden brown. Drain .
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in another wok. Add garlic and fry. Remove and discard.
- To this garlic infused oil, add and stir-fry the green chillies retaining the green color.(just a few seconds)
- Add onion and saute till just turning golden brown.
- Add chilly powder and stir well.
- Now add the fried chcken pieces and toss well to coat.
- If the chicken is not red enough you may add a bit of red food coloring.(optional)
- Stir fry just until any liquids evaporate and the chicken remains moist. Do not over fry. Add salt to taste.
- Garnish either with celery, capsicum, green chilly, spring onions or fried ginger or a combination.
Did you enjoy our Indo Chinese Chilli Chicken ?
You may also like: