Grilled Coconut Chicken with Mint and Lemon
This Grilled Coconut Chicken with Rich Flavors is cooked gently in an infusion of coconut milk and the freshest ingredients, prior to being grilled or barbecued. It can be addictive.
Grilled Coconut Chicken
- 1 kg/2.20 lb Chicken cut into medium pieces
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric(powder)
- 8 shallots
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 3 ½ teaspoons fresh ginger
- 1 piece of fresh turmeric root, about 2 tsp
- 3-4 red thai chillies Or 3 Larger milder red chillies
- 3 mild green chillies
- 1½ cup loosely packed freshmint leaves or a combination of mint and cillantro leaves (The leaves should be fresh and green)
- 3 Tbsp lemon grass stalk, cut up (for info)
- 4 tablespoon peanut/sunflower or coconut oil
- 1 ½ cups of unsweetened coconut milk- slightly thick
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Rinse the chicken well under cold running water and drain well.
- Make gashes on the chicken with a sharp knife.
- Marinate with½ tsp turmeric and a 1 tsp salt for 30 minutes
- Grind/Blend the shallots, garlic, ginger, fresh turmeric ,mint, chillies and lemon grass to a fine paste – do not add water.
- Heat oil in a non stick wok or pan.
- Add the ground paste a fry, stirring constantly till it no longer has the raw smell of garlic and ginger and is glistening.
- Add salt, coconut milk and simmer. Taste and season appropriately with pepper and add lime juice.
- Add the chicken and coat well with the coconut sauce. Cover and allow to cook on low till the chicken is cooked with a nice coating of the coconut sauce. Keep spooning the sauce over the chicken pieces and do not allow to burn.
- It will take anywhere from 15- 30 minutes to cook well. Make sure the chicken is cooked but still firm and not falling off bones, as we still need to grill the chicken.
- Remove the pieces from the pan while still moist with sauce.
- Grill on a grillpan or outdoor grill, on medium low till you get nice char marks and a lovely aroma.
- Serve with Lime wedges and Salad.
Try and Let us know – Grilled Coconut Chicken .