By Kinjal Prajapati
A staple and delicious dal curry. The combination of the ‘Dals’ (Lentils) and tempering to enhance flavor are key to this basic dish thats very yummy! ‘Tadka’ refers to the tempering of the dish.
- 1 cup masoor dal (split red lentil- orange in color)
- ¼ cup yellow moong dal (split yellow gram)
- 2 green chillies, slit
- 1 tsp grated ginger (adrak)
- 1 tsp grated garlic (lehsun)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp ghee
- ½ tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- ½ tsp nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 1 whole dry kashmiri red chilli, broken into pieces
- ¼ cup sliced onions
- ¼ cup chopped tomatoes
For the garnish
- 3 Tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Clean, wash and soak both the dals in water for 20 minutes.
- Drain, add the green chillies, ginger, garlic, turmeric powder, salt and 3 cups of water and pressure cook till the dals are tender.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Remove the green chillies and discard them. Mash the dals lightly. Keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the ghee in a deep pan and add the mustard seeds and nigella seeds. When the mustard seeds crackle, add the red chilli and onions and sauté till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and sauté for 3-4 minutes or till the mixture leaves oil.
- Add the dals, mix well and bring to boil. Serve hot garnished with coriander and butter.
Did you enjoy our Dal Tadka Recipe ?