Chunky Beef Stew
The classic American Chunky Beef Stew is a meal in itself. Tremendously comforting with some homemade bread, buttermilk biscuits or dumplings. I remember having beef stew in the winter months while growing up in Dhahran, where winters were very cold.
Singapore is usually always hot or rainy.. but I do sometimes get a craving for this stew. The kids will eat it up faster than most meals and the hubby loves it too.
Whenever I get really good stewing beef, I always have this recipe in mind. Nope, it’s not a soup, its not smooth or watery..oh and no it’s not a curry either!!! It’s chunky and you have to rummage through the contents to make sure each spoonful has all the elements. The ‘browned’ beef promises a wonderful pearlescent gloss to the gravy. The gravy, that is simply heart warming and delicious. So good for something so simple!
A dutch oven or cast iron pot is traditionally used.. but I have made it in my trusted pressure cooker without any trouble too.
Chunky Beef Stew
You are here: Home > Soups and Stews > Chunky Beef Stew
Recipe Name: Chunky Beef Stew
Recipe Type: Soups and Stews
Author: Shana c/o Recipes ‘R’ Simple
Total time: 1
Yield: (5-6 servings)
- 800 gms beef good for stewing, like chuck tender
- 4 potatoes , peeled and cut into large cubes
- 2 large carrots, cut into large cubes
- 2 – 3 ribs of celery, sliced
- 2 onions, chopped (about 1 cup worth)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 70 gms (small ca) of tomato paste (not to be confused with tomato puree)
- 1 rounded tsp of dijon mustard
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ cups beef broth or you can use a beef bouillon cube dissolved in hot water.
- 4 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tsp dried)
- A few leaves of sage (or ¼ tsp dried)
- ½ cup frozen peas (thawed)
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp potato starch
- 5 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Cut the beef into stew sized chunks. Drain well. Pat dry. Season with a dash salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a dutch oven, cast iron pot or even a pressure cooker.
- Add the dry pieces of beef and allow to brown on all sides. (Do this in batches). Remove.
- To the same oil with some brown bits in there ( that’s flavor!), add onion, garlic bay leaf and celery. Add a tiny bit of oil to the pot only if it is dry and sauté till the onions and celery are softened and reduced. It will be a brownish mixture from the residue in the pot.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, stirring to make sure there is no burning.
- Now add the pepper powder, garlic powder, dijon mustard and stir well.
- Add the beef, carrots and potatoes and stir well.
- Pour in the broth and add enough water to cover all the ingredients well.
- Add salt as needed, since the broth contains salt. Bring to a simmer and add the parsley and sage leaves.
- Cover with a tight lid and cook on low for 1 hour till the meat is tender. (If using a pressure cooker, cook on low till you hear 8 steam whistles).
- Add boiled water, if the stew seems to be going dry. (This is usually not needed if using a pressure cooker), Also add the peas.
- Mix the cornstarch ( cornflour) and potato starch in ½ cup of hot water and add to the stew. Return to a simmer, check the tenderness of the meat. Do not stir too much or you will mash the potato ad carrots too much.
Chunky Beef Stew
Key Ingredients: Beef, Potato, Carrot, Tomato Paste, Onion, Celery, Garlic, Parsley.
Leave a comment if you tried – Chunky Beef Stew.