Chicken Majboos – Majboos Djaj
By Arifa K
Majboos is a traditional Arabian Rice dish incorporating fish or meats. Similar to Saudi Kabsa, this is a Bahraini dish that is popular in the gulf countries. It is not like a biriyani but a lovely aromatic Rice Preparation. Try this delicious, aromatic Chicken Majboos.
- 1 kg good chicken large pieces
- ½ Tbsp Coriander powder
- ½ Tbsp garam masala or baharat
- pepper to taste
- mild chili powder /paprika to sprinkle
- 4 cups rice – kaima or basmati
- 8 large tomatoes, 3 of which are for decoration – use nice plump RED tomatoes( Roma Tomatoes are good)
- 1 cup garlic, crushed
- 5 large onions, chopped finely
- 2 tbsp ketchup or 3 tsp tomato paste
- 8 cloves
- 6 cardamom pods
- 2 small sticks cinnamon
- 2 tsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp white pepper powder
- ¼ cup green chili, chopped – optional
- 1½ Tbsp black pepper powder
- 1½ olive oil
- 1½ garlic, crushed finely
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- Marinate chicken. Rub the ingredients for the marinade and rub well into the chicken.
- Place in fridge for 2 hours. Place outside at room temperature 20 minutes before starting to cook.
- Rinse the rice throughly. Soak for 5 minutes and drain.
- Preheat oven 175ºc.
- Heat oil in a pot.
- Add garlic and onion. Sauté till color changes to light brown.
- Next, add coriander powder & garam masala or baharat spices as well as pepper to taste.
- Add diced tomato. Cook well. Also add 2 tbsp ketchup or tomato paste.
- Allow to cool. Then grind to a paste using a small mixer grinder.
- Return the ground paste to the pot.
- Add chicken and salt to taste and enough water to cook chicken.
- Wash out the mixer/blender and add this liquid.
- Cook covered till chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from the gravy and set aside on baking tray.
- Sprinkle mild chili powder on the chicken pieces.
- Grill/ broil the chicken for 10 minutes, basting after 5 minutes with butter or olive oil. (Place on top rack of oven to broil).
- Measure the broth left in the pot. Add enough water to make exactly 8 cups . Set aside.
- Add 1 tsp oil to the cleaned out pot. Heat and add cloves, cinnamon and cardamom. Allow to emit aroma.
- Return the measured stock. Bring to a boil
- Add rice, 2 tsp lime juice and the white pepper powder.
- Cook covered on low heat till all the water is absorbed by the rice and the rice is cooked. Turn off heat.
- Cut the garnishing tomato into flower shaped and place on top of the cooked rice.
- Cover the pot for 10 minutes, allowing the tomato to sweat in the steam of the pot.
- Move to serving plate, placing tomatoes on top.
- Also garnish with boiled eggs, herbs, onions and toasted pine nuts as desired.
Did you enjoy our Chicken Majboos
- Baharat is an arabian spice. If unavailable, it may be substituted with Bhar or Garam Masala spices.
- You can cook this dish with the chicken skin left on for a moist and tender chicken. Broil till the skin is crisp.
- White pepper powder is used to keep the color of the rice, black pepper can be used instead.