Beef Varattiyathu- Simple Kerala Recipe
This ‘Beef Varattiyathu’ recipe or tender twice cooked beef is a delicious recipe from Kerala. Quite simple to make, the beef is first cooked with some spices and then roasted in coconut oil to make a semi dry beef roast. Perfect to serve with the Malabar Rice Pathiri.
Beef Varatiyathu – Simple Kerala Recipe
You are here: Home > Beef Recipes >Beef Varattiyathu
Recipe Name: Beef Varattiyathu
Cuisine: Kerala, India
Author: Shana – Recipes ‘R’ Simple
Yield: (4 servings)
- 500 gms beef, cut into small bite size pieces
- 1 Tbsp kashmir chilli powder
- ½ Tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp pepper powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 onion, sliced
- ¾ Tbsp ginger, lightly crushed using mortar and pestle
- ¾ Tbsp garlic, lightly crushed
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 Tbsp coconut slivers / bits (not grated)
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 4 Tbsp curry leaves
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 5 shallots, lightly crushed
- 3 Tbsp plus 2 tsp coconut oil
- Marinate the rinsed and drained beef with the chill powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder and salt. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Place in pressure cooker with just a dash of water. Pressure cook for about 8 steam whistles. (May differ according to quality of meat).
- Check if tender, after cooling down and opening the cooker.
- Continue cooking on medium heat till gravy in the cooker is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Heat coconut oil in a heavy based skillet or wok.
- Add the sliced onion and sauté till golden.
- Add the ginger and garlic and sauté for another 1 minute.
- Next add tomato and cook till pulpy and soft.
- Add cooked beef to the mixture and toss to coat thoroughly. Cook on a very low heat till a lovely thick gravy coats the beef pieces. Stir constantly to ensure that the ingredients to not get scorched to the bottom at any point.
- Add the coconut bits and stir through.
- Add coriander leaves and some curry leaves and cook till wilted.
- Sprinkle garam masala over the beef and stir in.
- Heat 2 tsp of coconut oil in a separate small pan.
- Add the shallots and sauté till golden.
- Add the curry leaves and fry till crisp.
- Pour over the cooked beef and toss once again.
- Serve as a side with Rice and Yoghurt based curries, Pathiri, Paratta etc…
Beef Varattiyathu – Simple Kerala Recipe
- You can add some chopped green chili while sautéing the shallots and curry leaves for a spicier Beef Varattiyathu.
- This recipe is traditionally made in an earthen pot over wood fire .
Key Ingredients: Beef, Onion, Ginger, Garlic, Tomatoes, Curry leaf, Cilantro, Spices, Coconut oil.
Let me know if you tried – Beef Varattiyathu – Simple Kerala Recipe. Comments from you provide motivation to keep up the driving force behind this blog, bringing you more delicious and perfected recipes regularly. Please do leave a comment. Love to hear from you.